Monday, October 31, 2011

The Story

At 7:30 on Saturday evening, Brandon and I went to a wedding at Ashton Gardens in Denton to see one of his friends who he worked with in SGA get married. After we left the ceremony around 8:00, he told me that a few of our friends were still busy after the UNT Homecoming football game, so he said, "Let's go the Square."

For those of you who don't know, Brandon and I went on a few dates before we were "official" in August of 2009, and the Square was one of the places where he and I sat on a bench and talked all about our lives after we got some coffee at Jupiter House.

As we drove towards the Square, Brandon asked, "How are you and Jesus doing?" I responded by saying, "Oh, we're ok. I'm having a hard time with discipline (in my quiet times), but I'm learning." Shortly after, we found a parking spot and we started walking towards the Square. But then Brandon said, "Hold on, I need to get my Bible." My back was turned away from him so I didn't see what was going on, but my heart started beating faster because at that point, I had a feeling that something was going to happen.

We walked towards our favorite bench and sat down at the same place where we sat in 2009 and many times after, and then Brandon said, "I want to read something to you." He turned to Proverbs 31:10-31, which says, "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life. She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands. She is like the ships of the merchant; she brings her food from afar. She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household and portions for her maidens. She considers a field and buys it; with the fruit of her hands she plants a vineyard. She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong. She perceives that her merchandise is profitable. Her lamp does not go out at night. She puts her hands to the distaff, and her hands hold the spindle. She opens her hands to the poor and reaches out her hands to the needy. She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household are clothed in scarlet. She makes bed coverings for herself, her clothing is fine linen and purple. her husband is known in the gates when he sits among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them; she delivers sashes to the merchant.

Strength and dignity are her clothing, and she laughs at the time to come. She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. She looks well to the ways of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: "Many women have done excellently, but you surpass them all."

Charm is deceitful, and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised. Give her of the fruit of her hands, and let her works praise her in the gates."


Then he read something to me that he wrote in his journal: "You have shown me unconditional love. You have loved me the way Christ loves me. I want the opportunity to try and love you as Christ loves the church, for the rest of my life. I could tell you how loving and incredibly beautiful you are, but the only thing that truly matters is your beautiful heart for God. I want to continue to grow closer to Christ, while drawing into a deeper relationship with you. So, Lauren Kelsey Weldin, (as he got down on one knee), as an act of worship in humble accordance with what I feel is God's will for my life...will you marry me?"

Of course I jumped up and said YES! After I hugged him, he slid the beautiful ring on my finger, and then I turned around and saw some of our closest friends walking towards us.

After I hugged the girls, showed them the ring, and the guys gave Brandon a slap on the back, Jonathan led us in prayer as Brandon and I stood in the center while our friends surrounded us. It was such an overwhelming feeling to be supported and surrounded by other believers as we joined together in fellowship.

After calling family and friends, we went to Greenhouse for dinner that evening and celebrated. I could hardly sit still in my seat! Keith Cranford, Brian Murray, his wife Allison, Jonathan Cao, Samantha Kelley, Beau Henderson, Lillian Cain, Eli Lopez, and his girlfriend Elyssa were also there.

That evening everything changed, and it was one of the happiest days of my life. My boyfriend became my fiance, and God's love for both me and Brandon was so evident in that special moment.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE this!!! Such a precious beginning to your lives together! LOVE <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete